Cabinet approves MoC between India-Japan in ICT.
The Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) that was signed between India and Japan on Cooperation in the field of Information and Communication Technologies on October 29, 2020.
Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC)
The MoC seeks to strengthen cooperation between India and Japan in the field of communications. This will also help to boost the cooperation in the field of telecom security, submarine cable, 5G, utilization of latest wireless technologies, Disaster relief, spectrum management, block chain, standard certification of communication equipment and cooperation on multilateral platforms. It will further help India to increase its opportunities to get into Global Standardization Process. It will also promote Indian human capacity in the field of ICT thus, comply with the objectives of Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
India-Japan recent Cooperation
- India and Japan signed Agreement on Cooperation in 5G, Artificial Intelligence recently in October 2020. Both side also agreed to give momentum to the Supply Chain Initiative in the Indo-Pacific region.
- The Union Cabinet recently approved the agreement between India and Japan to implement the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enhance cooperation in cyberspace.
- External Affairs Minister Shri S Jai Shankar visited Japan to attend QUAD ministerial meeting in September 2020.
- JIMEX 2020- India and Japan held the military exercise in the North Arabian Sea.
- India and Japan Logistics Agreement was also signed recently in September 2020 which will allow the armed forces of both the countries to coordinate closely in supplies and services.
- Japan extended Rs 2,500 crores of credit as COVID-19 Crisis Emergency Response Support to India in September 2020.
- Further, the Japanese companies are shifting from China to India, ASEAN and Bangladesh by providing subsidies.