DRDO commences Production of Pinaka Missiles
The Defense Research Development Organization (DRDO) has began the mass production of Pinaka rockets on September 26, 2020. The Authority Holding Sealed Particulars (AHSP), which is responsible for collecting and analyzing defense items, has handed over the Pinaka weapon system production project to Directorate-General of Quality Assurance.
The Indian government is currently working towards increasing the capacity of Defense forces. The mass production is being done to counter border issues created by Pakistan and China along line of control and line of actual control.
- The Pinaka missile system has a range of 37.5 kilometers.
- These are launched from multi barrel rocket launcher which is capable of launching 12 Rockets in 44 seconds.
- The system was designed and developed by Armament Research and Development Establishment, a Pune based DRDO lab.
- India has been producing 5000 missiles every year currently.
- An advanced version of Pinaka is under development.
- Recently, an upgraded Pinaka system with a range of over 90 km was test fired.
The Pinaka was started being developed by the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) in 1980s. The project was started as an alternative to the multi-barrel rocket launching systems of Russian make called Grad. The first successful test of the project was done in 1990 with the successful tests of Pinaka Mark-1. The missile was first used during the Kargil War of 1999.