The 4th State Food Safety Index was released by the Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya on 7th June 2022 on the occasion of World Food Safety Day. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) prepared this report to measure the performance of the states across food safety five parameters.
How have the states ranked in this yearâ€™s index?
- Larger States: Tamil Nadu took the first position followed by Gujarat and Maharashtra respectively.
- Smaller States: Goa took the first rank by Manipur and Sikkim respectively.
- Union Territories: Jammu & Kashmir came first followed by Delhi and Chandigarh respectively.
The states are ranked based on what parameters?
In this index, the states are ranked based on the basis of five parameters which are:
- Human Resources and Institutional Data
- Training and Capacity Building
- Food Testing Facility
- Consumer Empowerment
What is the aim of this index?
This index will help in providing nutritious and safe food to the citizens and also indicates the efforts undertaken by the Union Territories and States to food safety. This index was first started in 2018-19, and it has the aim of creating a positive and competitive change in the countryâ€™s food safety ecosystem. This index is a dynamic qualitative and quantitative benchmarking model that provides an objective framework with the aim of evaluating food safety across all Indian States and UTs.