Haryana tops Anemia Mukt Bharat Index.
Haryana State emerged as the best state in the Anemia Mukt Bharat (AMB) Index among all the 29 states in the country.
- Haryana was ranked at the top with an AMB Index of 46.7.
- The state has also achieved 93% of immunization in year 2019-2020 for the first time.
- Haryana is one of 11 states in the country that have achieved National Health Policy targets well before 2020.
- The institutional deliveries in the states have also increased to 93.7 % as a result of 24-hours delivery facilities.
Anemia Mukt Bharat
It an initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and UNICEF. The scheme has been launched in order to reduce the prevalence of Anemia across India. Anaemia Mukt Bharat strategy focuses on to benefit six target beneficiary groups, through six interventions and six institutional mechanisms. The programme is aimed at achieving the target of anaemia reduction under the POSHAN Abhiyaan.
Provisions of the scheme
- The scheme provides for the supervised biweekly iron-folic acid(IFA) supplementation by the ASHA for all under-five children.
- There is a provision of weekly IFA supplementation for 5-10 years old children
- It provides for Annual or biannual deworming for children as well as adolescents.
- Under the scheme, a point of care testing(POCT) and treatment is set up for school adolescents and pregnant women that makes use of newer technologies.
- The scheme establishes the institutional mechanisms to do advanced research in anaemia.
- It also addresses the non-nutritional causes of anaemia.