Highlights of India- Denmark Green Strategic Partnership
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Denmark’s Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen held a virtual bilateral summit on September 28. 2020. In his opening remarks PM Narendra Modi said that this virtual summit will prove useful for India-Denmark relations and will also help in creating a common approach towards global challenges while the Prime Minister of Denmark Mette Frederiksen in her opening remark said that the Summit is a milestone on our bilateral relations and our forward-looking agreement on green strategic partnership.
- Indian side referred to important reforms in agriculture and labour sector brought by the government recently. The Prime Minister also mentioned that Denmark has been continuously participating in the Vibrant Gujarat Summit since 2009.
India-Denmark Green Strategic Partnership
- According to a Joint Statement. Both the Prime Ministers confirmed the close partnership in addressing global challenges and solutions on green energy transition and climate change.
- They also agree to be at the forefront in the global fight against climate change.
- The two countries have set very ambitious national targets on climate and energy in order to contribute to an ambitious implementation of the Paris Agreement.
- The two countries want to show to the world that how the world that delivering on ambitious climate and sustainable energy goals is possible.
- They agreed to join efforts and initiatives to support and promote a rule-based multilateral system.
- The multilateral system includes,
- strong multilateral cooperation to face the urgency to step up global efforts to tackle the global challenges on energy and climate change.
- common commitment to the International Energy Agency (IEA), the International Renewable Energy Agency (IREA) and the International Solar Alliance(ISA).
The two sides supported the need of cooperation on promotion of an open, inclusive and rule-based multilateral trading system under the World Trade Organization (WTO) to promote global growth and sustainable development.