Rashtriya Kamadhenu Aayog started “Kamadhenu Deepawali Abhiyan”
The Rashtriya Kamadhenu Aayog (RKA) has began the nation wide campaign called “Kamadhenu Deepawali Abhiyan” on October 12, 2020.
Kamadhenu Deepawali Abhiyan
- This initiative is being implemented by the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- The primary aim of the campaign is to promote extensive use of cow dung during the Diwali season.
- Under the scheme, RKA would be promoting the cow dung based diyas, dhoop, Agarbatti, swastika, wall-pieces as well as idols of goddess Lakshmi and Lord Ganesha.
- The campaign have targeted to reach to the 11 crore families and ignite 33 crore diyas made of cow dung.
- Apart from that, the initiative would be igniting 3 lakh diyas in Ayodhya and 1 lakh diyas in Varanasi.
- The campaign was inspired from the “Gaumya Ganesha Campaign”that encouraged the usage of user friendly materials while making Ganesh idols.
The initiative would generate business opportunities for the cow based entrepreneurs and farmers by promoting use of cow-dung. This way, the initiative would help in making the Gaushalas “Atma Nirbhar”.
Rashtriya Kamadhenu Aayog (RKA)
The RKA was established in 2019 under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission with an budget of Rs 750 crores. The RKA works to protect and conserve the development of cows and their progeny. The ayog works in collaboration with the animal sciences, veterinary sciences and agriculture universities engaged in breeding and rearing cow.
Functions of RKA
- To conserve, protect and develop cattle population in the country by providing direction and policy framework.
- To conserve the indigenous breeds of cows.
- To increase the growth of livestock sector.
- To ensure proper implementation of laws for the welfare of cows.
Rashtriya Gokul Mission
Rashtriya Gokul mission was launched to set up Gokul Grams which are Integrated Cattle Development Centres. The initiative have targeted to set up 21 gokul grams across the country. Four gokul grams has been set up in Varanasi, Phora, Patiala and Mathura as of June 2019.
Objectives of Rashtriya Gokul Mission
- To develop and conserve indigenous breeds in a focused and scientific manner.
- To distribute high genetic and disease free merit bulls.
- To boost the milk production.
- To initiate and promote the breed improvement programme.