SBI Ecowrap Report: PMJDY used more frequent in areas prone to crime.
The SBI has published its Ecowrap report. The report highlights that the pandemic has led to 60% increase in opening up of new Jan Dhan accounts.
- The report highlights that the usage of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) accounts has increased.
- It has increased in the regions that are more prone to theft.
- As per the reports, empirical research has shown that PMJDY accounts work as a primary source for labour remittances.
- The PMJDY account has increased lending, increased spending on healthcare , smoothing consumption.
- Further, the usage of this account is more frequent in crime prone areas.
- States like Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Haryana witnessed a decline in the usage of PMJDY account which has a positive impact on theft.
- States like West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Gujarat and Karnataka have also witnessed a favorable impact.
Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)
PMJDY scheme was launched in August 2014 under the National Mission for Financial Inclusion. It provides universal access to banking facilities that provides – one basic banking account for every adult, access to credit, financial literacy, insurance and pension. Use of PMJDY is also causing the change in individual behavior across all states. As per the latest data total number of PMJDY accounts stands at 41.05 crore as of October 14, 2020.