World Environmental Health Day on 26 September
World Environmental Health Day is being observed globally today on 26th September. The day is celebrated to throw the light on important works being done on the environmental health around the world. Theme for the 2020 edition of the day is : Environmental health, a key public health intervention in disease pandemic prevention. It has been targeted towards preventing the disease and creating health-supportive environments.
- The World Environmental Health Day was launched by the International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH) council.
- The observance of the day was inaugurated in 2011 in Indonesia. On this occasion Indonesian students-activists composed special hymn and performed it tin order to celebrate the launch of this event.
- In 2012 the event was observed in Africa and Europe.
- In 2013 the event was further supported by Canadian, British, American, Australian and Asian activists.
- Theme for 2019 was- ‘Climate change challenges, time for global Environmental Health to act in unison’ in order to tackle climate changes.
According to 2020 report by the world health organization (WHO), 24% of global deaths that is 13.7 million deaths per year are related to the environment. So the day plays a significant role in educating the public about methods of reducing the environmental health issues and take precaution in order to avoid diseases.
International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH)
The International Federation of Environmental Health was established in 1986.It is based in London, England. The IFEH spreads knowledge about environmental health among people and promotes cooperation between countries to improve the environmental situation of our planet. Every year it announces a special theme and organizes various activities in order to draw public attention to the problems of our environment.