“Aadi Mahotsav” to be Launched today
The Union Minister for Tribal Affairs would launch a 10-day-long Aadi Mahotsav on December 1, 2020 in a virtual format.
About Aadi Mahotsav
- Aadi Mahotsav is a unique celebration showcasing the spirit of tribal culture, cuisine, crafts and commerce.
- The Mahotsav was commenced in the year 2017.
- It is an attempt to make people familiar with the rich and diverse craft and culture of the tribal communities in the country.
- Aadi Mahotsav-2020 would be organised virtually by Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) in light of the COVID-19 restrictions.
- The main focus of the 2020 edition is on tribal craft and culture of Madhya Pradesh.
Tribal Co-operative Marketing Federation of India (TRIFED)
TRIFED is a national level cooperative body working under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs. The body was established in 1987 under the Multi-state co-operative societies act 1984. It became operational in 1988. The body seeks to empower the tribal community. In that line, the body has started procuring the tribal art and craft items in the year 1999 using its retail outlet named as TRIBES INDIA.
Objective of TRIFED
TRIFED was established with an objective of institutionalizing the trade of Minor forest products (MFP). It seeks to provide a fair price for the surplus agricultural products produced by tribals in India. The body ensures the sustainable harvesting of MFP and saves the tribals from the policies of middleman. It also provides information about the fair price of the products of tribals and enables them to bargain for it. To support the tribal art and craft, It organises Aadi Mahotsav.