Advisory for Human-Wildlife Conflict Management
Recently, an advisory for management of Human-Wildlife Conflict in the country has been approved by the Standing Committee of National Board of Wildlife. The advisory indicates the course of action for the States and Union Territories in case of Human-Wildlife conflict and seeks to promote inter-departmental coordination and effective actions in such situations.
- The advisory aims to empower gram panchayats to deal with the problematic wild animals as per the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
- The advisory has provided some key steps to reduce Human-Wildlife Conflict like utilizing add-on coverage under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna for crop compensation against crop damage, augmenting fodder and water sources within the forest areas, and payment of a portion of ex-gratia as interim relief within 24 hours of the incident to the victim or family.
- The advisory also proposes to set up inter-departmental committees at the local or state level, dedicated circle wise Control Rooms with toll-free hotline numbers which could be operated on a 24X7 basis, creation of barriers, and adoption of early warning systems.
- Other important approvals in the meeting comprised of including a medium-size wild cat ‘Caracal’ into the list of critically endangered species and starting conservation efforts to save it. Caracal is found in some parts of Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- After the addition of Caracal to the list, 22 wildlife species are there under the recovery programme for critically endangered species.
- Some other decisions taken at the meeting are the construction of Integrated Bus Terminus cum Commercial complex in Vashi, Navi Mumbai in Thane district, and construction of a canal and bridge to augment the water supply and irrigation facilities in some villages of Balrampur District in Uttar Pradesh.
National Board for Wildlife
The National Board for Wildlife is a body constituted under Section 5 A of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 by the Central Government. The body advises the government for framing policies for wildlife protection in the country.