Birth Centenary Celebrations of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Begins
The year-long Birth Centenary celebrations of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi began on February 4, 2021. A two-day event has been organized in Mumbai to commemorate the timeless legacy of the great musical maestro by Rithwik Foundation for Performing Arts.
- The Indian government is organizing different events to pay tributes to the legendary musician.
- In order to mark the commencement of the year-long celebrations of the birth centenary of Pandit Bhimseen Joshi, Films Division is screening his biopic on its website and YouTube channel.
- The documentary is titled “Pt Bhimsen Joshi” and shows the musical journey of the musician.
- The documentary is 73 minutes long and has been directed by lyricist and filmmaker Gulzar.
- The documentary is available at https://www.youtube.com/user/FilmsDivision or https://filmsdivision.org/Documentary of the Week.
Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
He was a vocalist from Karnataka born on February 4, 1922. He belonged to the Kirana Gharana of Hindustani Classical Music. He enriched the Indian classical music with his bhajans, soulful khayal renderings, and abhangs. He was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship in the year 1998. In 2009, he received India’s highest civilian honour, Bharat Ratna. He was awarded all the three Padma Awards- Padma Shri in 1972; Padma Bhushan in 1985; and Padma Vibhushan in 1999.