BRICS Nations adopt New Counter-Terrorism Strategy
The member of BRICS grouping have adopted a new Counter-Terrorism strategy on November 17, 2020. The new strategy was adopted during the 12th BRICS Summit that was held on November 17. New strategy has been adopted with an objective to deal with terrorism.
The New Counter Terrorism Strategy has been adopted on the basis of understated principles:
- By respecting the sovereignty of the participating countries.
- By committing to the international laws.
- By recognizing the coordinated role of the United Nations.
- By considering the priorities of the member countries and national interests.
- By adopting the comprehensive approach so as to combat terrorism.
The new counter-terrorism strategy have adopted the following goals:
- To implement the United Nations Security Council resolutions.
- To counter the global threats based on the UN Charter.
- To broaden the counter terrorism operations with G20 and FATF.
- To increase the information sharing about the terrorist organisations as listed by the UNSC.
Counter Terrorism Working Group
The new counter-terrorism strategy would be implemented by the BRICS Counter Terrorism Working Group. The major sub-working groups under this group include terrorist financing, countering radicalization, capacity-building, use of internet for terrorist purposes and issues of foreign terrorist fighters.
The BRICS countries have adopted the new counter-terrorism strategy in the backdrop of the Brasilia Declaration. The Brasilia Declaration was adopted by the BRICS nations at the 11th BRICS summit held in Brasilia. This declaration condemned all forms of the terrorism. As per the declaration, two main pillars of terrorism are ideology and finances and it focuses issues such as anti-money laundering and countering financial terrorism.