Committee Formed for Preservation of Ladakh’s Land, Culture and Language
The Union Home Ministry has formed a Committee for the protection of the culture, language, land of Ladakh. The committee has been set up after a 10-member delegation from Ladakh met the Union Home Minister showing concerns about the threat to the culture, language, and demography of Ladakh.
- The committee set up by the ministry will be headed by the Minister of State (MoS) for Home G Kishan Reddy.
- The committee will include elected representatives from the central government, Ladakh, Ladakh administration, and Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council.
- The committee will work towards finding a solution for issues related to the conservation of Ladakh’s culture, language, land as well as to look into the demands for including the region in the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution.
- The committee will ensure the participation of the citizens in the development of the Union Territory.
- In 2019, National Commission for Scheduled Tribes has also recommended including Ladakh in the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution.
Sixth Schedule of the Constitution
The Sixth Schedule of the Constitution includes the provisions for the administration of tribal areas in Meghalaya, Assam, Mizoram, and Tripura in accordance with Article 244 of the constitution. It has provisions of forming Autonomous District Councils (ADC) for safeguarding the rights of the tribal people.