Education Minister Launched Lilavati Award-2020
On 17th November, Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal “Nishank” virtually launched the Lilavati Award-2020. It is AICTE’s Innovative education program to empower women.
About Lilavati Award
The Lilavati Award has been instituted by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). It aims to recognise the efforts made by AICTE affiliated and recognised institutions in treating women with “equality and fairness”.
- The award creates awareness about women related issues and encourages women participation in all spheres of society.
- This year’s Lilavati awards are constituted under the theme of ‘Women Empowerment’ with sub themes of Women Health, Sanitation, Self Defence, Literacy, Entrepreneurship and Legal Awareness.
- The awards would be given to individuals, teams and institutions who have made remarkable contributions in various sub themes related to women.
The name of the award has been derived from the book ‘Lilavati’. The book was written by Indian mathematician Bhaskara II in 1150. It is the first volume of his main writing – the Siddhanta Shiromani. Lilavati was Bhaskara II’s daughter. Bhaskara II had also written the Bijaganita, the Grahaganita and the Goladhyaya.
All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
It is a national-level apex advisory body, set up in November 1945. Its aim was to conduct a survey on the facilities available for technical education. Its aim also includes promoting development in the country in a coordinated and integrated manner. According to the National Policy of Education (1986), AICTE has the following power:
- Legal authority for planning, formulation, and maintenance of norms and standards,
- Assurance of quality through accreditation,
- Funding the priority areas, monitoring, and evaluation,
- Keeping up the parity of certification and awards,
- The administration of technical education in the country.
Government’s scheme for women empowerment
The Central Government has launched several welfare schemes for the overall development of girl child and women like Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, UJJAWALA, NIRBHAYA, SWADHAR Greh, and CBSE Udaan Scheme.