India-Bangladesh begin Bongosagar and CORPAT Naval Exercises
The second edition of Indian Navy (IN) – Bangladesh Navy (BN) Bilateral Exercise Bongosagar will commence in Northern Bay of Bengal on 03 October 2020. in the exercise Bongosagar, ships from both the navies will participate in surface warfare drills, seamanship evolutions and helicopter operations.
- First edition of the exercise was held in 2019.
- It is aimed at developing inter-operability and joint operational skills by conducting a wide range of maritime exercises and operations.
- Significance– This edition of Exercise have great significance as it is being conducted during Mujib Barsho, the 100th birth anniversary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
IN – BN Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT)
- First edition of CORPAT began in 2018.
- 3rd edition of IN – BN Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) will be held in Northern Bay of Bengal beginning from 4 to 5 October 2020.
- In this, IN and BN units will undertake joint patrolling along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL).
- Significance– Conduct of CORPATs has strengthened the understanding between both the navies and has came up with measures to stop conduct of unlawful activities.
- Indian side: Following ships are taking part:
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kiltan, which is an indigenously built Anti-Submarine Warfare Corvette and
- INS Khukri which I an indigenously built Guided-Missile Corvette.
- Bangladesh Side: Ships from Bangladesh include-
- Abu Bakr, which is a Guided-Missile Frigate and
- BNS Prottoy , which is a Guided-Missile Corvette.
- In addition to ships, Maritime Patrol Aircraft and integral helicopter(s) from both the sides would also participate.
India- Bangladesh Relation
India and Bangladesh have a close and long-standing relationship that covers a wide range of activities and interactions. The relation has been strengthened because of regular interactions. The people of India and Bangladesh also share a close cultural bonds. They also have shared vision of democratic society and a rules-based order. In the line, the Exercise Bongosagar and IN – BN CORPAT reflects the priority that Indian Navy gives to Bangladesh Navy as part of Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s SAGAR (Security And Growth for All in the Region) Vision.