Japan Exempts Import Inspection Of Indian Black Tiger Shrimps
Japan has lifted the inspection of Indian Black Tiger Shrimps completely. This was done after the export consignments of this prawn variety were found to be free from any residue of synthetic anti-bacterial drug furazolidone in line with Section 3, Article 26 of its Food Sanitation Act.
- This step has come as a massive relief to the seafood exporters.
- These exporters were going through the hard days of business amid the ongoing Covid pandemic.
- This decision was taken by Food Inspection and Safety Division of Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) of Japan.
- The decision was later conveyed to the Indian Embassy in Japan, Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) and Export Inspection Council of India.
The import inspection import inspection sampling frequency for Black Tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon) were reduced by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) of Japan. The import inspection was reduced to 30 percent from the 100 percent 0n March 25, 2020.
Key decisions by the MHLW
- The MHLW further conveyed that the chiefs of Quarantine Station had been informed about the Inspection Order related to the furazolidone on Indian cultured Black Tiger shrimp.
- This item would now be subjected to the regular internal monitoring plan.
- This plan is mandatory for all the food items distributed in Japan.
It is a nitrofuran antibacterial agent and a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). The substance is marketed by Roberts Laboratories under the brand name Furoxone. It is used in human and veterinary medicine. It is an active against the Gram positive, Gram negative, Escherichia coli, Salmonella dublin, Shigella, Protozoa. In humans, the substance is used to treat diarrhoea and enteritis which are caused by bacteria or protozoan infections. It is also used in treating Helicobacter pylori infections. The substance is also used as a veterinary medicine. It is used to treat salmonids for Myxobolus cerebralis infections.
Concerns regarding use of Furazolidone
Furazolidone is a nitrofuran antibiotic. So, its use in food animals is prohibited by the FDA under the Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act, 1994. Alsom this is not available in the US.
Indian Black Tiger shrimp
This is commonly known as the giant tiger prawn or Asian Tiger shrimp. Its scientific name is Penaeus Monodon. It is a popular seafood delicacy which is commonly found in Indo-Pacific ocean region apart from Australia, Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic Ocean off the Southern US. It is also an important segment of marine products export basket of India. Japan consumes nearly 40 percent of India’s Black Tiger shrimp exports.