National biomass mission to be set up by the power ministry
The power ministry has announced a National Mission on the usage of biomass in thermal power plants that are coal based. This mission has been announced to reduce carbon footprints and to keep in check sir pollution caused due to stubble burning in farms. This would be done to keep in line with making a transitional move towards cleaner energy productions in the future.
Objective of the mission
The ministry of power has laid down certain objectives to be achieved under the mission.
- To contribute towards clean energy in the future co-firing rate will be increased from the present 5% rate to higher levels so as to have a large share of carbon neutral power generations from thermal power plants.
- Research and Development will be undertaken in boiler designs so that it can handle higher amounts of silica and alkalis in biomass pellets.
- Supply of biomass pellets and agro-residue and its transportation to power plants will be enhanced.
Structure of the National Biomass Mission
The structure and modalities of the National Mission is under finalization and it has been envisaged to be headed by the secretary of power and will comprise of various stakeholders and representatives from Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, etc. NTPC will also play a role in the National Biomass Mission by providing logistics and infrastructure support. The ministry has also formed 5 sub-groups under the mission.
- Sub-Group 1: They will be responsible to conduct research on characteristics of biomass.
- Sub-Group 2: They will conduct research on boiler design.
- Sub-Group 3: They will be in charge of resolving issues regarding supply chain.
- Sub-Group 4: They will be responsible to designate labs to conduct testing of biomass pellets.
- Sub-Group 5: Will be based on regulatory frameworks and handle economics of co-firing in coal based thermal power plants.
The National Biomass Mission will also contribute towards India’s National Clean Air Programme.