NCRB report 2020 – Crimes against SCs and STs saw a rise of 7 % and 26% in 2019
The National Crime Record Bureau have recently released a report titled “Crime in India”, 2019. As per the report, crimes against members of the Scheduled Castes (SCs) and the Scheduled Tribes (STs) reported an increase of over 7% and 26% in 2019 respectively as compared with the 2018 figure.
- Against SCs- As per the report, 45,935 cases were registered for committing crimes against the SCs.
- In 2018, the registered cases were 42,793 in total.
- Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest number of crimes against the SCs in 2019 with the number of cases at 11,829. It is followed by Rajasthan with 6,794 cases and Bihar stood at number three with 6,544 cases.
- Rape cases– Rajasthan topped the list with 554 rape cases, followed by Uttar Pradesh with 537 cases and Madhya Pradesh with 510 cases.
2. Against STs– 8,257 cases were registered for crimes against the STs.
- In 2018, cases stood at 6,528.
- Madhya Pradesh have the highest number of cases against the STs with figure at 1922, it is followed by Rajasthan that registered 1797 cases and Odisha where the number of cases are 576.
- Rape Cases- highest number rape of tribal women was registered in Madhya Pradesh with total of 358 cases.
Other Key Findings of the report
- Uttar Pradesh has reported highest number of crime cases against women, around 14.7% as well as SCs.
- Uttar Pradesh is followed by Rajasthan and Maharashtra.
- Uttar Pradesh also reported the highest number of crimes against girl children under POCSO act followed by Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh also recorded highest number of dowry cases followed by Bihar.
- Uttar Pradesh also has the highest number of acid attacks followed by West Bengal.
- Assam has reported highest rate of crimes against women.
- Rajasthan reported the highest rate of crimes against SCs.
- The crime rate (number of crimes registered per lakh women ) against women has increased to 62.4% in 2019 as compared to 58.8% in 2018.
National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB)
NCRB was set up in 1986 which function as a repository of information in crimes. It was set up on the recommendations of National Police commission in 1977 and the Task Force in 1985. “Empowering Indian Police with Information Technology” is the motto of NCRB.