Public Affairs Index-2020.
The Public Affairs Index-2020 has been released recently by the Public Affairs Centre. The States such as Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Goa have emerged as the best governed States.
The states have been ranked on governance performance on the basis of a composite index. The composite index was prepared in the context of sustainable development defined by the three pillars including the equity, growth and sustainability.
- The State of Kerala topped the index.
- Kerala is followed by Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka that bagged the second, third and fourth rank respectively.
- Uttar Pradesh, Odisha and Bihar stood at the bottom of the ranking.
- Goa ranked first in the small states category. Goa is followed by Meghalaya and Himachal Pradesh.
- The worst performers in the index Manipur, Delhi and Uttarakhand. These three states received negative points.
- Chandigarh bagged at the top position in the category of Union Territories. Chandigarh is followed by Puducherry and Lakshadweep.
- Among the Union Territories, Dadra and Nagar Haveli; Andaman and Nicobar; Jammu and Kashmir were the worst performers.
Recommendations by the report
The report recommended that there must be synergies between all the three pillars- equity, growth and sustainability from the perspective of development.
Public Affairs Centre (PAC)
The Public Affairs Centre (PAC) is a data driven not-for-profit research think tank. The PAC is situated in Bengaluru, Karnataka. The think-tank works to improve the quality of governance in India. It conducts research activities in two major fields including the public policy and participatory governance.