The Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana was launched in September 2021. It was launched under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana. Under this programme, the youths will be provided with training in jobs related to Railways.
Key Facts for UPSC Examinations
- Under the programme, training will be provided in four major skills. They are electrician, machinist, welder and fitter. Other skills are to be added by the zonal production based on their requirement.
- The training will be provided in accordance to the Apprentice Act, 1961.
- The main objective of the programme is to bring quality improvement. It aims to train 50,000 candidates in three years.
The scheme will improve the employability of the youths in the country. Also, it will upgrade their skills of self-employment. It is highly helpful for those working with contractors to re-skill and up-skill themselves.
Importance of Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana
The unemployment rate in India reached 34% in 2019 according to Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy. This increased after COVID-19. At least eight million job seekers are entering the job market every year. According to the Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS), 2018, the unemployment rate in the country was 23.7%.
Need for Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana
In India, the joblessness is mainly due to poor training. According to the PLFS, 2018, only 7% of the Indians have received formal and informal training. Also, only 2.3% have undergone formal training. On the other hand, in the USA it is 80%, in Germany it is 75%, 68% in UK, 96% in South Korea, 80% in Japan. Contrarily, 48% of the Indian employers reported difficulties in job vacancies mainly because of skill shortage. According to the PLFS, 2018, 33% of the formally trained Indians are jobless. Thus, the Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana will help to fill the gap.
Issues in Skilling India
- The Government of India takes in overburdened responsibility while skilling the youths. For instance, the Phase III of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana aimed to impart skills to more than eight lakh persons.
- There are discontinuities in policy process. For instance, the National Skill Development Agency that was created in 2013 was subsumed under National Council for Vocational Training.