Virtual Agri-hackathon 2020 – Key Facts
On December 31, 2020, the Union Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Minister inaugurated the virtual Agri-hackathon 2020. This is the largest virtual platform for dialogues and strengthening innovations in agriculture. The event will also see more than 50 speakers providing their views through agricultural meets.
- It is the first-of-its-kind virtual event that will go on for 2 months.
- This brings together the country’s young and innovative minds, startups for searching innovative solutions to the present problems of the agriculture industry.
- The virtual Agri- hackathon 2020 has been organized by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers’ Welfare and Pusa Krishi, ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research)-IARI (Indian Agricultural Research Institute).
- Applications have been invited for innovative solutions to the problems of agriculture by startups, innovators, etc. The last date of application is January 20, 2021.
- The event that will run for 2 months will have three elimination rounds to select the final 24 winners.
- The evaluation of the applications will be done by experts in various fields after undertaking various parameters like potential impact, feasibility, market need, etc.
- The winners will be provided a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh each along with incubation support and the opportunity for field trials.
- This event will be able to create a digital pool of best solutions for the present issues of the industry.
Pusa Krishi is an initiative started by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research-Indian Agricultural Research Institute in the year 2014 to provide support to agriculture startups and to encourage them.