4th Global Conference on Criminal Finances and Cryptocurrencies
The 4th Global Conference on Criminal Finances and Cryptocurrencies was held virtually from November 18 to November 19, 2020. The conference was organized by the Interpol, Europol and the Basel Institute on Governance. It was attended by over 2,000 representatives from 132 countries.
- The conference was attended by the Representatives from law enforcement, the judiciary, Financial Intelligence Units (FIUs), international organizations and the private sector virtually.
- The meeting was held in order to shape the international cross-sector solutions against the criminal use of cryptocurrencies.
Global Conference on Criminal Finances and Cryptocurrencies
- This conference is an initiative by the Working Group on Cryptocurrencies and Money Laundering.
- It was established in the year 2016 by the three organizations.
- It was launched with an objective to strengthen the knowledge, expertise and best practices to investigate into financial crimes and intelligence on virtual assets and cryptocurrencies
Why this conference is significant?
- The conference is significant in the context that the number and quality of investigations in the cryptocurrency-facilitated crime and subsequent money laundering has increased. It signifies that the law enforcement and other public entities are working to enhance their level of knowledge and expertise in cryptocurrency related crimes.
- This conference provided an opportunity to highlight the need for countries to increase the exchange of tactical information and best practices.
- It also highlights the need to probe and regulate the virtual asset service providers so as to prevent the money laundering.
Agenda of the conference
The main agenda of the conference include the trends and investigations on offences related to the cryptocurrency, to explore the criminal flows and operations in the dark markets, ransomware and sextortion case studies. The conference also seeks to explore the money laundering cases that involves the virtual assets and the transfer of drug using the cryptocurrencies.