Bua Noi Gorilla
Bua Noi is the name of the last remaining gorilla in Thailand, who has been behind bars for the past 30 years at the Pata Zoo, Bangkok.
- Pata Zoo is a small roof-top zoo that has placed animals in awful conditions. It is also called ‘one of the saddest places in the world’ by animal rights group PETA Asia.
- Bua Noi was captured as a baby and taken to Pata Zoo and her mate died many years ago.
- Several animal rights activists and the rights group PETA have called for closing down the zoo, as the animals are caged without physical or mental stimulation.
- American singer Cher has written to Thailand Government for saving the lonely Gorilla.
- As a response, the Thai Government has said that they are devising plans to shift the zoo animals to better conditions.
Relocation of world’s loneliest Elephant Kaavan
- Cher had earlier initiated the rehabilitation of the world’s loneliest elephant- Kaavan from Pakistan.
- Kaavan was relocated from Pakistan to Columbia. He was kept in the Marghazar Zoo in Pakistan which was closed in May 2020 after the orders of the Islamabad High Court (IHC) because of poor conditions.
- Kaavan was gifted to Pakistan from Sri Lanka in the year 1985.
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is an American non-profit organization working for animal rights. It is based in Virginia, United States. The organization was founded by animal rights activist Ingrid Newkirk and Alex Pacheco in the year 1980. Every year, the organization also selects “PETA Person of the Year” to recognize the efforts of a person in advocating animal rights. In 2020, PETA India named Bollywood Actor John Abraham as the Person of the year.
Written by IAS POINT