Chennai: Tops in CCTV Surveillance Globally
Recently, a report has placed Chennai as the topmost city according to CCTV surveillance. The top cities surveillance worldwide report was published in the South Asia Journal. As per the report, 2021 will be a great year as the world’s one-billionth surveillance cameras are expected to be installed by the end of the year.
- As per the report, Chennai is the top most city for CCTV surveillance in the world with a CCTV coverage of 657.28 per km square.
- Chennai has 25.5 CCTV cameras per 1000 people.
- The report considered 130 cities across the world to find out the maximum CCTV surveillance.
- The second spot as per the report is also held by the Indian city- Hyderabad.
- Hyderabad has CCTV coverage of 480 per square km and 30 CCTVs per 1000 people.
- The third spot in the report has been bagged by China’s Harbin city with 411 CCTVs per square km and 39.1 CCTVs per 1000 people.
- Delhi has also been placed at 8th position in the top 10 cities with CCTV surveillance. Delhi has 289 CCTVs per square km and 14.2 CCTVs per 1000 people.
- There are 6 cities of China in the top 10 list and 3 Indian cities.
- London has the most CCTV cameras per square km outside of Asia (399.27/sq.km). It is ranked 4th out of 130 cities.
- China’s Beijing has the most cameras (approximately 1.15M) but it has been ranked 10th on the list.
As per the report, both China and India have a better network of CCTVs. Also, the report points out that the first CCTV camera was installed in the year 1942 in Germany.