National Metrology Conclave 2021- Highlights
On 4th January 2021, Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated the National Metrology Conclave. Union Minister Harsh Vardhan was also present in the virtual event.
- National Metrology Conclave 2021 has been organized by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-National Physical Laboratory (CSIR-NPL).
- CSIR-NPL is also celebrating its 75th year of inception. It was formed on 4th January 1947.
- CSIR-NPL maintains the SI Unit standards in India as well as calibrates weight and measures standards.
- The theme of the National Metrology Conclave 2021 is ‘Metrology for the Inclusive Growth of the Nation’.
- The prime minister also dedicated ‘Bhartiya Nirdeshak Dravya’ and ‘National Atomic Timescale’ to the nation in the inaugural event of the conclave.
- In addition to this, the PM also laid down the foundation stone of the ‘National Environmental Standards Laboratory’.
Bhartiya Nirdeshak Dravya, which has been dedicated to the nation, supports the testing and calibration of laboratories for quality assurance as per the international standards. The National Atomic Timescale generates Indian Standard Time with an accuracy of 2.8 nanoseconds. The National Environmental Standards Laboratory will help in achieving self-reliance in industrial emission monitoring and ambient air equipment certification process.
It is a research and development organization of India covering research areas like ocean sciences, structural and aerospace engineering, metallurgy, etc. It was established in the year 1942.