Delhi Government passed the Tree Transplantation Policy
The Delhi government passed a new tree transplantation policy on October 9, 2020. Under the policy, 80% of the trees that are uprooted for any construction or development project will be transplanted elsewhere.
- State will make the conditional payment to the transplantation agency.
- The agency would only be paid if 80% of the transplanted trees survive.
- The Delhi government is also going to set up a panel of national-level transplantation agencies.
- These agencies would work to relocate the trees.
- A dedicated tree plantation cell would also be formed by the Delhi Government.
The local committees in collaboration with the RWA members and residents have been tasked with the monitoring task for the transported trees.
Background of the transportation drive is in light with the People’s call for a huge movement, ‘Yuddh, Pradushan Ke Viruddh’, against the air pollution levels. Under the movement, people of Delhi would undertake the implementation of including EV and policies to overcome the stubble burning problem in the city. Tree transplantation is one of the key policies of the movement.