DRDO’s New Equipment Delivery to Armed Forces
The laboratories of DRDO have recently developed three military systems, which were handed over to the three Indian Armed Forces by the Union Defence Minister. The three DRDO systems are- ASTRA Mk-I, Indian Maritime Situational Awareness System (IMSAS), and Border Surveillance System (BOSS).
Key Points for UPSC Prelims
Candidates should refer to the following points for UPSC Prelims-
Indian Maritime Situational Awareness System (IMSAS)
- IMSAS was handed over to the Indian Navy. It is a high-performance software system that will provide marine planning tools, a global maritime situational picture, and analytical capabilities to the Indian Navy.
- The system provides a maritime operational picture from naval headquarters to each individual ship in the sea for enabling Naval Command and control.
- The system has been jointly conceptualized and developed by the Centre for Artificial Intelligence & Robotics (CAIR), Bengaluru, and Indian Navy.
- BEL, Bengaluru has implemented it.
Border Surveillance System (BOSS)
- BOSS was handed over to the Indian Army. This has been already deployed in Ladakh against the Chinese troops.
- It is an all-weather electronic surveillance system.
- The system eases the surveillance and monitoring by automatically detecting the intrusions in harsh high-altitude sub-zero temperature areas with remote operation capability.
- Instruments Research & Development Establishment (IRDE), Dehradun has developed this surveillance system and it is being produced by Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), Machlipatnam.
- The ASTRA Mk-I was handed over to the Indian Air Force. It is the indigenously developed first Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Missile of the country.
- It can be launched from Mig-29, Mig-29K, Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), and Sukhoi-30.
- The system has been developed by the Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL) Hyderabad and it is produced by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), Hyderabad.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is the military R&D agency under the Defence Ministry. It was formed in the year 1958 and is headquartered in New Delhi.
Written by IAS POINT