GVMC: Best Performing Civic Body by MoHUA
The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has designated the Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation (GVMC) as the best performing Municipal Corporation in India.
- The Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation has bagged this title for the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY).
- The Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry constituted an annual award in the year 2019 for recognizing the contribution to PMAY-Urban.
- The award will be presented to the civic body on January 1, 2021.
- Andhra Pradesh has been ranked at the 3rd position in the ‘Best Performing State’ category.
- The state has also won a special category award for innovative construction technology and project monitoring tools.
- All States/UTs, Municipal Corporations & Municipalities are eligible for consideration of the PMAY Award.
It is an initiative by the Government of India to provide affordable ‘Housing for All’ by the year 2022. It has two components- PMAY-Urban and PMAY-Gramin. The PMAY-Urban mission was launched in the year 2015.
Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation
GVMC is the main governing body of Visakhapatnam. It was established in the year 1858 as a municipality and was upgraded as a corporation in the year 1979.
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is a ministry of the government of India which formulates and administers rules and regulations and laws for housing and urban development in India.