Highlights of the 15th G20 Summit
The ’15th G20 summit’ or the ‘2020 G20 Riyadh summit’ was held on November 21 and November 22, 2020 virtually. The summit was organized under the theme – “Realising the opportunities of 21st Century for all”.
What the leaders discussed?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended the 15th G-20 summit.
- The summit was chaired by Saudi Arabia and King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia led the summit.
- The primary focus of the summit was on an inclusive, resilient and sustainable recovery from the COVID-19.
- The leaders discussed the preparedness to response to the pandemic and ways to restore jobs.
- They further shared their vision on building an inclusive, sustainable and resilient future.
When did leaders meet last time?
- The last extraordinary leaders’ summit was held in March, 2020.
- During this emergeny summit, G20 leaders had developed a timely understanding among the member countries to help in containing the spread of COVID-19 pandemic.
- The leaders also “made a globally coordinated response” so as to contain the pandemic.
What is G20 troika?
After this summit, Italy will take over the G20 presidency on December 1. With this, India will enter the G20 troika along with Saudi Arabia. G20 troika is a three-member country committee that is chaired by Saudi Arabia.
What is G20 grouping?
It is an international forum for leaders from 19 countries and the European Union (EU). The grouping was founded in the year 1999. It was founded with an aim to discuss the policy so as to promote the international financial stability. G20 economies collectively account for around 90% of the gross world product. The grouping also account for 80% of world trade and two-thirds of the world population. The inaugural leaders’ summit was held in 2008.