Honoring Bravery: Police Personnel Awarded Service Medals on Republic Day
On the occasion of the 74th Republic Day, a total of 901 police personnel drawn from the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and state forces have been awarded various service medals, including for gallant action. The Union Home Ministry announced the list of awardees on Wednesday, which includes 140 Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG).The awards recognize and honor the bravery and service of police personnel in difficult and challenging circumstances, and serve as an inspiration for others in the force. Among the bravery awards, a maximum of 80 personnel were given for operations in Left Wing Extremism (LWE) hit or Naxal violence-affected areas, while 45 personnel deployed in Jammu and Kashmir region are being awarded for their gallant action, according to a statement from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- The country's largest paramilitary force, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), received the highest number of PMGs at 48. Other awardees include: 31 PMGs for the Maharashtra Police, 25 PMGs for the J-K Police, 9 PMGs for the Jharkhand Police, 7 PMGs each for the Delhi Police, the Chhattisgarh Police, and the Border Security Force (BSF). Notably, no President's Police Medal for Gallantry (PPMG), the top category of bravery decorations among the police forces, has been awarded this time.
- In addition to the gallantry awards, 93 President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service (PPM) and 668 Police Medal for Meritorious Service (PM) have been awarded. The PPM is awarded for a specially distinguished record in police service and the PM is given for valuable service characterized by resource and devotion to duty, as per the statement from the MHA.
Notable Gallantry Awards
- Among the 140 gallantry awards, 80 personnel from Left Wing Extremism affected areas and 45 from Jammu and Kashmir region are being awarded for their gallant action. One of the notable examples is the case of 19 officers of a team of elite C60 commandos of Gadchiroli police in Maharashtra. These officers were awarded PMG for their role in an encounter in which they killed 13 Maoists, including seven women, in a forest area between Potegaon and Rajoli in Gadchiroli district in 2021.
- The highest number of bravery medals, 48, have been awarded to the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), followed by 31 to the Maharashtra Police, 25 to the Jammu and Kashmir Police, nine to Jharkhand Police, seven each to Chhattisgarh Police, Border Security Force (BSF), Delhi Police, four to Madhya Pradesh Police, one each to the Assam Rifles and CISF.
Explanation of Awards
- The Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG) is awarded on the ground of conspicuous gallantry in saving life and property, or in preventing crime or arresting criminals. The President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service (PPM) is awarded for a special distinguished record in Police Service, and the Police Medal for Meritorious Service (PM) is awarded for valuable service characterized by resource and devotion to duty. These awards serve as a recognition and appreciation for the sacrifices and hard work of police personnel who put their lives on the line to protect citizens and maintain law and order.
- The PMG, PPM, and PM are considered among the highest honors for police personnel in the country and are awarded to those who have demonstrated exceptional bravery, dedication, and service to the nation. The awardees are chosen based on a rigorous selection process and are decided by a committee consisting of senior police and government officials.
- The role of police personnel in maintaining law and order and ensuring the safety and security of citizens is vital to the functioning of a democracy. They are often called upon to operate in difficult and challenging circumstances and are expected to perform their duties with courage, dedication, and professionalism.
It is important to recognize and honor the bravery and service of police personnel and these awards serve as a symbol of appreciation and gratitude for the sacrifices they make. The awardees should be proud of their achievements and be an inspiration for others in the force to continue to serve the nation with dedication and commitment. The award of 901 service medals including 140 for gallantry on the eve of 74th Republic Day is a testament to the hard work and sacrifice of police personnel in India.
Written by IAS POINT