Human Rights Day being observed on December 10
The Human Rights Day is celebrated on every year on December 10. The day is also called as the “International Human Rights Day”. This year, the day is being celebrated under the theme– Recover Better-Stand Up for Human Rights.
- The day is observed in the honour of “adoption of Universal Declaration of Human Rights” by the United Nations General Assembly.
- On this day, the United Nations Prize is awarded in the field of Human Rights.
Significance of the day
The day is celebrated across the world in order to achieve the real human rights. The day is observed with an aim to improve the socio-cultural and physical well being of the people across the world. The day also seeks to:
- Create awareness on the human rights among people.
- Improve the efforts of the United Nations General Assembly.
- Interact and discuss the crucial issues of human rights.
- Motivate the minorities, poor, women and disabled person to participate in the event.
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
This declaration of the Human Rights was adopted on December 10, 1948. The United Nations had adopted the four freedoms. They were- freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from want and freedom from fear. On this day, the Charter of United Nations was also created on the basis of faith in fundamental human rights. Thus, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights forms the basis of United Nations.
Body responsible to project Human Rights
The United Nations Human Rights Council which is a body under the United Nations protects and promotes the human rights globally. The council investigates the allegations of breach of human rights in the United Nations. It has 47 seats which sits for three years each. The members of the council can not occupy a seat for more than two consecutive terms.