India-US extend MoU for Cooperation on Nuclear Energy
India and the United States have extended their Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation on nuclear energy for 10 years further.
- The extension on the MoU was done on the tenth year of cooperation between the United States and India.
- This was done at the Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership (GCNEP).
India and USA had signed the Memorandum of Understanding regarding the Cooperation with the Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership (GCNEP) on November 7, 2010 at New Delhi.
- The joint statement have recognized India’s important commitment of 2010.
- In the year 2010, India has committed to establish the GCNEP so as to promote safe, secure and sustainable nuclear energy for the service of mankind through global partnership.
- India and the US also recognized the strength of the partnership in the fields of security, nuclear and radiological security cooperation.
- The countries have also committed to promote cooperation on initiatives that aims to give a boost to nuclear safety and security, research and development in nuclear science and technology.
- Both side would work on strengthening the dialogue on nuclear and other radioactive material security. This would be done by collaborating on advanced projects.
- They would further build on the international recognition of the GCNEP.
Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership (GCNEP)
It is the World’s first nuclear energy partnership centre, It has been set up at Haryana. The center is involved in facilitating the deliberation and discussions of international experts on the issues such as innovation in nuclear reactors and the nuclear fuel cycle.