India’s feat in Cologne World Cup Boxing
Cologne World Cup Boxing 2020 event ended on December 20, 2020. The event was started on December 16 and was held in Cologne, Germany. Indian Boxers have shown significant performance in the event and ended it with 9 medals- 3 gold, 2 silver, and 4 bronze medals.
- Indian boxers Simranjit Kaur (women’s 60kg), Amit Panghal (men’s 52kg), and Manisha Moun (women’s 57kg) brought 3 gold medals to the country in their respective weight divisions.
- Amit Panghal is the present AIBA flyweight world No. 1 boxer.
- Simranjit Kaur is the bronze medal winner of the AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships.
- Manisha Moun defeated Sakshi Choudhary in the finals, the 2-time AIBA Women’s Youth World Champion.
- Indian boxer Satish Kumar (men’s +91kg) won the silver medal. He withdrew from the summit clash against Germany’s Nelvie Tiafack due to injury.
- Pooja Rani (women’s 75kg), Gaurav Solanki (men’s 57kg), Sonia Lather (women’s 57kg), and Mohamed Hussamudin (men’s 57kg) brought 4 bronze medals in their respective categories.
As per European Boxing Confederation (?UBC) rankings, Cuba’s Joahnys Oscar Argilagos Perez is the top-ranked boxer in the 46–49 Kg category. Nazym Kyzaibay of Kazakhstan is presently the top women boxer in the 45-48 kg category.
International Boxing Association (AIBA) is an organization or sports federation formed in the year 1946 which sanctions amateur boxing matches and awards world and subordinate championships. It is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland.