Inter Parliamentary Union
The Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU) is a global inter-parliamentary organisation, headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. IPU was established in 1889 by two statesmen from France and UK. It was the 1st permanent forum for multilateral political negotiations.
- Originally, the organisation was for individual parliamentarians but it was transformed into an international organisation of the parliaments of sovereign states.
- The national parliaments of 179 countries are members of the IPU, as of 2020. It also has 13 regional parliamentary assemblies as associate members.
- IPU is the permanent observer at the United Nations General Assembly.
- IPU empower the parliaments and parliamentarians to promote democracy, peace, and sustainable development across the world.
- The slogan of IPU is “For democracy. For everyone.”
- The latest Conference of IPU was hosted by Serbia, in Belgrade, in the year 2019. Gabriela Cuevas Barron is the current President of the organisation.
IPU elects Girish Chandra Murmu as External Auditor
Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU) has elected Girish Chandra Murmu as its External Auditor. He has been elected for tenure of 3 years. Murmu is the Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG) of India. The election of Murmu was done in the 284th session of IPU which was conducted virtually.
Girish Chandra Murmu has been the external auditor of various other organisations also. Presently, he is the external auditor of the Food & Agriculture Organization, Rome and the World Health Organization, Geneva. He was on the UN Board of Auditors from the year 1993 to 1999 and 2014 to 2020. Other organizations in which he has been the external auditor include the UN World Tourism Organization, Organization for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, International Maritime Organization (IMO), International Atomic Energy Agency, World Intellectual Property Organization, World Food Programme, and International Organization for Migration.