ISRO SSA Control Centre- ‘NETRA’
NETRA i.e. ‘Network for space object Tracking and Analysis’ is a project that aims at monitoring, tracking, and protecting India’s space assets. NETRA includes an optical telescope facility, radar, and a control centre as its major elements.
Key Points for UPSC Prelims
- Space Situational Awareness (SSA) refers to keeping track of objects in orbit, which pose a potential threat to satellites and launches, and predicting where they will be at any given time.
- Indian Space Research Organisation has recently set up a dedicated control centre for Space Situational Awareness (SSA) activities in the country.
- Very few countries including the US, Russia, and others have their own Space Situational Awareness (SSA) centres.
- The ISRO SSA Control Centre is set up within the ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) campus at Bengaluru. This centre will act as a hub for all the activities of SSA in the country.
- The centre will have a provision to schedule and operate the observational facilities remotely. Additionally, debris labs will be set up within the control centre for compliance verification of UN/IADC guidelines, Space Debris mitigation and remediation, and various R&D activities.
Some core activities of SSA activities are timely dissemination of advance alerts on upcoming critical conjunctions for collision avoidance of operational assets, approach analysis between ISRO satellite and launch vehicles, and prediction of atmospheric re-entry of derelict satellites and rocket bodies.
Indian Space Research Organisation
ISRO is the national space research agency of India. It works under the Department of Space. It was established on 15 August 1969 and is headquartered in Bangalore. Its works include space exploration, space-based applications, and the development of related technologies.