Launch of Assam Rifles Public School
Kiren Rijiju, the Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports has recently launched the Assam Rifles Public School (ARPS) in Shillong as a Khelo India Sports School. The launching of the sports school is a step towards becoming the sporting powerhouse.
- Currently, nine Khelo India Sports Schools have been approved by the government across the country.
- Out of these 9 schools, 5 are managed by the Defence and Para-military forces.
- The Assam Rifles Public School is the first Sports School in the North-East region announced under the Khelo India scheme.
- After the launch, the government will bear the expenses for Talented Sports Students of the school in terms of boarding, lodging, competition exposure, sports training & support, sports equipment, education expenses, insurance & medical, the salary of coaches and support staff, etc.
- The main aim of a Khelo India Sports School is to combine sports with education and to improve the overall profile and outlook of athletes in the country.
- This will also help in identifying and promoting talent from North-Eastern, rural or tribal areas.
The Assam Rifles Public School was chosen as a Khelo India Sports School due to its good performance in academics and sports, sufficient space to develop sports facilities, proper boarding and lodging facilities, and inclination to develop Olympic sports under an inter-ministerial partnership between the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and the Ministry of Home Affairs.
The disciplines sports that have been finalized for the school are athletics, archery, and fencing with total intake strength of 100 athletes for the 1st year. The strength of athletes should have an equal ratio of boys and girls.