National Conference of States on Logistics
The first National Conference of States on Logistics was addressed by Union Minister of Railways; Consumer Affairs and Food & Public Distribution and Commerce & Industry, Piyush Goyal on January 19, 2021.
- The National Logistics Policy is currently under consultation.
- The Logistics Policy will work as a template for integrated development and better coordination for the logistics centre along with the National Logistics Council and State Logistics Coordination Committee.
- The Logistics team in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry is working to integrate different means of transport, documentation & stakeholders through technology platforms, into a much-simplified way of working, which will eventually enhance the Ease of Doing Business.
- Logistics is all about getting 5R’s right: Getting the Right product – At the Right place – At the Right Time – In the Right condition-To the Right customer.
- At present, India has a logistics ecosystem of $200 billion. Indian Railways supports a good part of this ecosystem.
- January 18, 2021, the average freight speed train speed was 46.77 km per hour in comparison to 22.47 km per hour in the same period last year.
- The average freight speed train in the first 18 days of January 2021 is approximately 97% higher than last year (in the same period).
- Dedicated Freight Corridors (DFCs) will only carry freight transport and will thereby increase the speed and reduce the cost.
By the year 2022, both the Western and Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridors will be ready. PM Modi has inaugurated the first 650 km of DFCs, on both, the Western and the Eastern fronts.