New Innovation Challenge by Jal Jeevan Mission-DPIIT
An innovation challenge for developing portable water testing devices has been recently launched by the Jal Jeevan Mission and the Department of Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
- The aim of this challenge is to develop a cost-effective and modular solution for testing the quality of drinking water that can be used at the household level also.
- This innovation challenge is open to individuals, startups, MSMEs, and corporates. Interested candidates can participate till January 18.
- The challenge is for 3 types of devices— One is a device that can test one or more parameters; the second that can check 13 water quality parameters like total dissolved solids, pH, turbidity, bacterial contamination, total alkalinity, and the presence of many other material contaminants and the third one for checking microbial contamination.
- The results of the challenge will be declared on 1st April.
- The selected innovations will be provided with support and deployment opportunities.
Jal Jeevan Mission
It is a national mission that aims to provide potable water on tap to every household i.e. Har Ghar Nal se Jal by the year 2024. The mission was launched on 15th August 2019. Since the announcement of this mission, so far 2 crores 90 lakh households have been provided with tap water connections. As per the ministry, each house in 20 districts, 64000 villages, 425 blocks, 34,000 Gram Panchayats of the country now have access to tap water.
It is a department under the Commerce and Industry Ministry which formulates and implements developmental and promotional measures for industrial growth.