MoSDE and Tata launch 1st batch of Indian Institute of Skills
The 1st batch of Indian Institute of Skills was virtually launched by the Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship in Mumbai. The Institute of Skills is a joint initiative by the Tata Indian Institute of Skills and the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE). The agreement for this was signed in November 2020.
- The training in the 1st batch at TATA-Indian Institute of Skills will be started with two courses in Factory Automation.
- The duration of the courses will be1 to 4 weeks, varying as per the qualification of the trainees. During the initial launch phase, the first 100 students will be offered scholarships along with attractive fee options.
- The IIS Mumbai will come on a Campus at Chembur, Mumbai. The campus is spread over an area of 4.5 Acre.
- The institute intends to partner with various private organizations, leading in their respective fields.
- At present, two such partnerships have been done with- Japan’s SMC Corporation, the largest manufacturer of pneumatic components in the world, and Germany’s FESTO, a leader in industrial automation.
Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE)
Formed in the year 2014, MSDE focuses on enhancing the employability of skills. The Ministry is aimed at decreasing the gap between supply and demand of skilled human resources for building new skills and innovation. As of now, over 3 crore people have been trained under Skill India. Under the flagship programme of the ministry- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) 2016-2020, around 1 crore candidates have been trained.