November 26: Constitution Day of India
The Constitution Day of India is being observed on November 26, 2020. The day mark the adoption of the Indian Constitution by the Constituent Assembly.
Constitution Day of India
- The constitution day is also called as the National Law Day.
- The Constituent Assembly of the country had adopted the Constitution of India on November 26, 1949.
- The constitution formally came into force on January 26, 1950.
- The first ever Constitution Day was celebrated in the year 2015.
- The day was started being celebrated as a tribute to Dr B R Ambedkar. Year 2015 marked the 125th birth anniversary of the B R Ambedkar. On that occasion, foundation stone of the B. R. Ambedkar’s Statue of Equality memorial was laid down in Mumbai.
- DR B R Ambedkar had played an important role in framing the constitution. He was the Chairman of the Drafting Committee.
The constituent assembly
The Constituent Assembly of India was set up to constitute a Constitution for India. The assembly was set up following the independence of India in 1947. The members of the constituent assembly had served India’s first Parliament. The idea of the setting up of Constituent Assembly was put forward by M. N. Roy in the year 1934. The constituent assembly write the constitution of India in two years, eleven months and seventeen days.
Constitution of India
The constitution of India is the supreme law. It lays down the framework that demarcates the fundamental political code, structure, powers, procedures, and duties of government institutions. The constitution provides for the fundamental rights, directive principles and several duties to the citizens. Indian constitution is the longest written constitution in the World. It declares India as a sovereign, socialist, secular, democratic and republic nation. It also assures for justice, equality and liberty to the citizens.