Office for International Affairs in Education institutions
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has called for establishing an office for international affairs. The Commission has asked the higher education institutes in the country to set up the office.
- As per the commission, these offices will serve as an “integral part of the internationalization of higher education in India”.
- Under the New Education Policy 2020, the Indian government has also asked colleges to expand the global outstretch of the higher education institutes of India for promoting the country as a global destination for studies.
- Setting up of international affairs office will prove to be a step closer to the government’s objective.
- The office will also be helpful in the academic and research collaborations with foreign institutes.
- Such international affairs offices will act as a liaison body between the sponsoring agency and foreign students.
- The office will also extend support to foreign students, address their grievances, and facilitate networking.
- The office will be tasked with coordinating matters of supporting and welcoming foreign students, providing information about the admission process to prospective foreign students, and engaging in the brand and promotional activities abroad.
- UGC has asked the institutes to set up the international affairs office and share all details related to the office by February 15.
Institutions of Eminence (IoE) Guidelines
Recently, UGC also amended its regulations and Institutions of Eminence (IoEs) to set-up campuses abroad after receiving no-objection certificates from the Ministry of External Affairs and Ministry of Home Affairs. UGC also allowed eminence institutes to set new off-campus centres. IoEs will be allowed to open 3 centres in 5 years.