The Project 17A or Nilgiri-class frigate is the succeeding project of Project 17 Shivalik-class frigate for the Indian Navy. Under the project, two shipyards are building seven ships. The estimated cost of each ship will be around Rs 4000 crore.
Key Points for UPSC Prelims
- The 7 ships have been named after hills ranging across India, namely Himgiri, Nilgiri, Udyagiri, Dunagiri, Taragiri, Mahendragiri, and Vindhyagiri.
- Out of these 7 ships, 3 are being built at Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE), Kolkata and four are being built at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL).
- The ships are being built with indigenous weapons, enhanced stealth features, sensor fit, and other advanced features.
- Project 17 A was approved by the Indian government in the year 2012 and the agreement for building the ships was finally done in the year 2015.
- As of now, INS Nilgiri has been launched by the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited in 2019. It is expected to be commissioned in the Indian Navy in the year 2022.
- GSRE has now launched Himgiri and all other ships are under construction.
Himgiri launched by GRSE Kolkata
Himgiri, the first of the three Project 17A ships being built at GRSE Kolkata, was launched recently. P17A ships are also the largest combat platforms and first gas turbine propulsion built at GRSE. The ship made the first contact with the water at the Hoogly River in the inaugural event. This ship is expected to be commissioned in the year 2023.
As of now, GRSE has built more than 100 ships.
Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited
MDL is a shipyard that is situated in Mumbai’s Mazagon. It is involved in building ships and submarines for the Indian Navy, offshore platforms and vessels for offshore oil drilling. It was founded in the year 1934.
No comments yet.