Rakshita: DRDO’s Motor Bike Ambulance
The Delhi based DRDO laboratory named Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS) handed over the Rakshita to the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF). In total, 21 bikes were flagged off on the occasion.
- It is a bike-based casualty transport emergency vehicle or the Motor Bike Ambulance.
- This bike ambulance has been flagged off in order to help in overcoming the problems faced by the Indian security forces and emergency healthcare providers.
- It will be providing the life-saving aid for evacuation of injured patients from low intensity conflict areas.
- The bike ambulance will be beneficial for the congested streets and remote locations where access to ambulance is difficult.
- With this launch, the medical emergency need of patients can be fulfilled faster than by a four-wheeler because of its functionality and integrated emergency medical support system.
Features of the Rakshita
- The Rakshita bikes have been fitted with a customized reclining Casualty Evacuation Seat (CES).
- This seat can be fitted in and taken out as per requirement.
- The bike also comprises of the feature of the head immobilizer, safety harness jacket, hand and foot straps for safety.
- It also contains the adjustable footrest, physiological parameter that measures the equipment with wireless monitoring capability.
- The bike also has the feature of auto warning system for driver.
- On the bike, vital parameters of the patient can be monitored on the LCD mounted on the dashboard.
- The bikes have also been equipped with the air splint, medical and oxygen kit so as to provide on the spot medical care.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
It is an agency under the Department of Defence Research and Development in Ministry of Defence was established in the year 1958. It is charged with the military's research and development. The agency has been headquartered in Delhi.
Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)
It is India's largest Central Armed Police Force that works under Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). It helps in assisting the State or Union Territories in police operations so as to maintain law and order and counter insurgency. CRPF came into existence in July 1939 and then it was known as Crown Representative's Police. After Indian Independence, it became the Central Reserve Police Force in the year 1949.
Written by IAS POINT