SS Vempati Committee on TRP Rules submits Report
The committee set up by the government for reviewing the guidelines on television rating agencies and Target rating point (TRP) rules in the country have submitted its report to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- This committee was set up in November 2020 by the minister. The committee was headed by Shashi S Vempati and has three other experts.
- Shashi Shankar Vempati is the CEO of the country’s largest broadcaster Prasar Bharati.
- The findings of the report have not been made public yet.
- Information and Broadcasting Minister said that the ministry will now evaluate the recommendations given by the committee.
- The major issues are to ensure increased transparency in the TRP measurement system and to expand the base of people meters used to measure TRPs.
- The Ministry is expected to give directions to the Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) on the basis of recommendations of the report.
Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC)
BARC India is an industry body founded in the year 2010. It represents Advertisers (ISA), Broadcasters (IBF), and Advertising & Media Agencies (AAAI). It is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, and also considered as largest television measurement science industry-body in the world.
It is the largest public broadcaster in the country which comprises the Doordarshan Television Network and All India Radio. It was established in the year 1997.