UN: India has Largest Diaspora in the World
As per the United Nations, the Indian diaspora is the largest diaspora in the world and among the most dynamic and vibrant diaspora.
- As per the UN, 18 million people from India are found to be living outside their homeland in the year 2020.
- A report titled ‘International Migration 2020 Highlights’ has been released by UN DESA Population Division.
- The United States, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia are the three countries that host the largest numbers of migrants from India.
- As per Clare Menozzi, the Population Affairs Officer in the Population Division at the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), the migrant population of India is spread all over the world.
- As per the report, other nations with a large diaspora are Russia and Mexico (11 million each), Syria (8 million), and China (10 million).
- The diaspora of India is spread across major nations including the US (2.7 million), UAE (3.5 million), and Saudi Arabia (2.5 million).
- Other nations that host migrants from India are Canada, Australia, Oman, the UK, Kuwait, Qatar, and Pakistan.
- From the years 2000 and 2020, the migrant population of India has seen the highest gain of approximately 10 million, followed in order of magnitude by Syria, Venezuela, China, and the Philippines.
The US is the country with the largest international migrants, approximately 51 million migrants in the year 2020. Germany has about 16 million migrants, Saudi Arabia has 13 million migrants, Russia has 12 million migrants and the UK has 9 million migrant populations.
At present, international migrants account for around 3.6% of the global population.