UPSC Civil Services (Mains) Examination Commerce and Accountancy Syllabus
Paper ï¿½ I:ï¿½Accounting and Finance Accounting, Taxation & Auditing
1. Financial Accounting:
Accounting as a Financial Information System; Impact of Behavioural Sciences. Ac-counting Standards e.g., Accounting forï¿½Depreciation, Inventories, Research andï¿½Development Costs, Long-term Construction Contracts, Revenue Recognition, Fixedï¿½Assets, Contingencies, Foreign Exchangeï¿½Transactions, Investments and Government Grants, Cash Flow Statement, Earnings Per Share.ï¿½Accounting for Share Capital Transactions including Bonus Shares, Right Shares,ï¿½Employees Stock Option and Buy- Back ofï¿½Securities.ï¿½Preparation and Presentation of Companyï¿½Final Accounts.ï¿½Amalgamation, Absorption and Reconstruction of Companies.
2. Cost Accounting:
]Nature and Functions of Cost Accounting. Installation of Cost Accounting System. Cost Concepts related to Income Measurement, Profit Planning, Cost Control and Decision Making. Methods of Costing: Job Costing, Process Costing, Activity Based Costing. Volume ï¿½ cost ï¿½ Profit Relationship as a tool of Profit Planning. Incremental Analysis/ Differential Costing as a Tool of Pricing Decisions, Product Decisions, Make or Buy Decisions, Shut-Down Decisions etc. Techniques of Cost Control and Cost Reduction: Budgeting as a Tool of Planning and Control. Standard Costing and Variance Analysis. Responsibility Accounting and Divisional Performance Measurement.
Income Tax: Definitions; Basis of Charge;ï¿½Incomes which do not form Part of Totalï¿½Income. Simple problems of Computationï¿½of Income (of Individuals only) under Various Heads, i.e., Salaries, Income fromï¿½House Property, Profits and Gains fromï¿½Business or Profession, Capital Gains, Income from other sources, Income of otherï¿½Persons included in Assesseeï¿½s Total Income.ï¿½Set ï¿½ Off and Carry Forward of Loss.ï¿½Deductions from Gross Total Income.ï¿½Salient Features/Provisions Related to VATï¿½and Services Tax.
Company Audit: Audit related to Divisibleï¿½Profits, Dividends, Special investigations,ï¿½Tax audit.ï¿½Audit of Banking, Insurance, Non-Profitï¿½Organizations and Charitable Societies/Trusts/Organizations.
Financial Management, Financial Institutions and Markets
1. Financial Management
- Finance Function: Nature, Scope and Objectives of Financial Management: Riskï¿½and Return Relationship.ï¿½Tools of Financial Analysis: Ratio Analysis, Funds-Flow and Cash-Flow Statement.
- Capital Budgeting Decisions: Process, Procedures and Appraisal Methods. Risk andï¿½Uncertainty Analysis and Methods.
- Cost of capital: Concept, Computation ofï¿½Specific Costs and Weighted Average Costï¿½of Capital. CAPM as a Tool of Determiningï¿½Cost of Equity Capital.
- Financing Decisions: Theories of Capitalï¿½Structure ï¿½ Net Income (NI) Approach,ï¿½Net Operating Income (NOI) Approach, MMï¿½Approach and Traditional Approach.
- De-signing of Capital structure: Types of Lever-ages (Operating, Financial and Combined),ï¿½EBIT- EPS Analysis, and other Factors.
- Dividend Decisions and Valuation of Firm:ï¿½Walterï¿½s Model, MM Thesis, Gordanï¿½sï¿½Model Lintnerï¿½s Model. Factors Affectingï¿½Dividend Policy.
- Working Capital Management: Planning ofï¿½Working Capital. Determinants of Workingï¿½Capital. Components of Working Capital -Cash, Inventory and Receivables.ï¿½Corporate Restructuring with focus onï¿½Mergers and Acquisitions (Financial aspects only)
2. Financial Markets and Institutions:
- Indian Financial System: An Overview Money Markets: Participants, Structure andï¿½Instruments. Commercial Banks. Reformsï¿½in Banking sector.
- Monetary and Credit Policy of RBI.
- Capital Market: Primary and Secondary Market. Financial Market Instruments and Innovative Debt Instruments; SEBI as a Regulator.
- Financial Services: Mutual Funds, Venture Capital, Credit Rating Agencies, Insurance and IRDA.
Paper ï¿½ II
Organization Theory and Behaviour, Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations Organization Theory and Behaviour
1. Organization Theory
- Nature and Concept of Organization; External Environment of Organizations -Technological, Social, Political, Economical and Legal; Organizational Goals ï¿½ Primary and Secondary goals, Single and Multiple Goals; Management by Objectives.
- Evolution of Organization Theory: Classical, Neo-classical and Systems Approach.
- Modern Concepts of Organisation Theory: Organisational Design, Organisational Structure and Organisational Culture. Organisational Designï¿½Basic Challenges; Differentiation and Integration Process; Centralization and Decentralization Process; Standardization / Formalization and Mutual Adjustment.
- Coordinating Formal and Informal Organizations. Mechanistic and Organic Structures. Designing Organizational structuresï¿½Authority and Control; Line and Staff Functions, Specialization and Coordination.
- Types of Organization Structure ï¿½Functional. Matrix Structure, Project Structure. Nature and Basis of Power , Sources of Power, Power Structure and Politics. Impact of Information Technology on Organizational Design and Structure.Managing Organizational Culture.
2. Organization Behaviour
- Meaning and Concept; Individual in organizations: Personality, Theories, and Determinants; Perception ï¿½ Meaning and Process.
- Motivation: Concepts, Theories and Applications. Leadership-Theories and Styles.
- Quality of Work Life (QWL): Meaning andï¿½its impact on Performance, Ways of its Enhancement. Quality Circles (QC) ï¿½ Meaning and their Importance.
- Management ofï¿½Conflicts in Organizations.
- Transactionalï¿½Analysis, Organizational Effectiveness,ï¿½Management of Change.
Human Resources Management and Industrial Relations
1. Human Resources Management (HRM)
- Meaning, Nature and Scope of HRM, Human Resource Planning, Job Analysis, Job Description, Job Specification,
- Recruitment Process, Selection Process, Orientation and Placement, Training and Development Process,
- Performance Appraisal and 360ï¿½ Feed Back, Salary and Wage Administration, Job Evaluation, Employee Welfare, Promotions, Transfers and Separations.
2. Industrial Relations (IR)
- Meaning, Nature, Importance and Scopeï¿½of IR, Formation of Trade Unions, Tradeï¿½Union Legislation, Trade Union Movementï¿½in India.
- Recognition of Trade Unions, Problems of Trade Unions in India. Impact ofï¿½Liberalization on Trade Union Movement.
- Nature of Industrial Disputes : Strikes andï¿½Lockouts , Causes of Disputes, Preventionï¿½and Settlement of Disputes.ï¿½Workerï¿½s Participation in Management:ï¿½Philosophy, Rationale, Present Day Status and Future Prospects.
- Adjudication and Collective Bargaining.ï¿½Industrial Relations in Public Enterprises,ï¿½Absenteeism and Labour Turnover in Indianï¿½Industries and their Causes and Remedies.ï¿½ILO and its Functions.
Written by princy