The International Energy Agency (IEA) had published a report in 2019 stating that, global energy demand is going to increase by 25 % to 30 % by 2040. This would mean, the economy would have to rely more on coal and oil. But this will result into more of CO2 emission that would exacerbate the climate change. Thus, in order to decarbonize economies are looking for accessible, efficient and sustainable clear energy. Once such option is energy driven by "Green Hydrogen".
It is a non-toxic colorless gas. It is the most abundant element in the universe. Studies reveals that 90% of all the atoms are hydrogen atoms which is almost three quarters of the total mass in the universe.
Production of Green Hydrogen
It is produced by the electrolysis of water. Electrolysis is done by using an electric current to break water (H2O) into hydrogen and oxygen. When this electric current is produced by a any renewable source such as wind turbine or Solar cells, the clean hydrogen which is produced is known as the green hydrogen.
- Green Hydrogen are 100 % Sustainable. It does not emit polluting gases during combustion or production.
- It is easy to store thus, can be used subsequently for other purposes.
- It can be transformed into electricity or synthetic gas apart from its uses for domestic, commercial, mobility or industrial purposes.
- Green Hydrogen can be mixed with natural gas and can travel through the same gas pipes and infrastructure.
- The Energy from renewable sources which are used to generate the green hydrogen through electrolysis is very expensive to generate.
- Production of hydrogen in general and green hydrogen requires more energy than other fuels.
- The nature of Hydrogen is volatile and flammable. So, it requires an extensive safety measures to prevent leakage and explosions.
Green Hydrogen is used in the production of Electricity and Drinking water generator. In the Space missions, Hydrogen is used to provide crews with water and electricity in a sustainable manner. The tanks with compressed hydrogen can also be used to store the energy for long periods of time.