2nd Edition of India Innovation Index
The 2nd edition of the India Innovation Index will be released on January 20 by NITI Aayog in a virtual event. The release of the 2nd edition of the India Innovation Index shows the commitment of the country to transform into an innovation-driven economy.
- India Innovation Index 2.0 or 2nd edition will be released by NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Rajiv Kumar.
- The India Innovation Index 2020 will rank the Indian States and Union Territories on the basis of their relative performance in supporting innovation.
- The index will help the state/UTs to know the strengths and weaknesses of their innovation policies.
- The States and Union Territories have been divided into categories for effectively comparing their performance and to prepare the index.
- The division is- 17 Major States, 9 City-States and Union Territories, and 10 North-East and Hill States.
- The States and Union Territories will be ranked on two broad categories: governance and outcome.
- The 2020 India Innovation Index has been upgraded to include globally considered parameters for determining innovation also.
India Innovation Index
The 1st edition of the India Innovation Index was launched in October 2019. The index examines the innovation ecosystem in Indian states and UTs. The main aim of the index is to help the states/UTs to frame effective innovation policies.
Global Innovation Index 2020
India was ranked in the top 50 countries in the Global Innovation Index 2020 released last year in September. India secured the 48th spot on the index out of 131 nations. The index was released by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), INSEAD Business School and Cornell University. Switzerland topped the index.