83rdï¿½All India Presiding Officersï¿½ Conference
The All India Presiding Officers’ Conference (AIPOC) is a body that represents the Legislatures of India and has completed its hundred years in 2021. The upcoming 83rd session of the conference, to be held in Jaipur on January 11th, 2023, will be addressed by the Vice President & Rajya Sabha Chairman, Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar, and will focus on several themes of contemporary relevance in its day-long discussions.
The Inaugural Session
- The inaugural session of the 82nd AIPOC was addressed by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in 2021 in Shimla. This year’s conference marks the fourth time that the conference is being organized in Jaipur, and the first conference was also held in Shimla in 1921.
- The conference will see the participation of Speaker Lok Sabha, Chief Minister Rajasthan, Deputy Chairman Rajya Sabha and Presiding officers of legislative bodies from across the states.
Leadership of India in G-20 as the mother of democracy
- One of the key themes that will be discussed during the conference is India’s leadership in the G-20 as the “mother of democracy.” The G-20 is a forum for the world’s leading economies, and India is a member of the group.
- As a democracy, India can bring its unique perspective to the table and contribute to the development of the group. The role of the legislative bodies in shaping India’s role in the G-20 will also be discussed.
Making Parliament and Legislature more effective, accountable and productive
- Another theme that will be discussed during the conference is the need to make Parliament and the Legislature more effective, accountable, and productive.
- The conference will provide a platform for the Presiding officers of legislative bodies to discuss ways to improve the functioning of the legislative bodies and make them more responsive to the needs of the people. The integration of technology, such as digital parliament, can help to improve the efficiency and transparency of the legislative process.
Integration of State Legislatures with Digital Parliament
- The integration of State Legislatures with Digital Parliament is another theme that will be discussed during the conference. The advancement of technology has the potential to revolutionize the way the legislative bodies function, and the conference will provide a platform for the Presiding officers of legislative bodies to discuss how to best harness this potential.
Harmonious Relationship between the Legislature and Judiciary
- The conference will also focus on the need to maintain a harmonious relationship between the Legislature and the Judiciary in accordance with the spirit of the Constitution.
- The legislative and judicial branches of government have a crucial role in the functioning of a democracy, and it is important that they work together to uphold the rule of law. The conference will provide a platform for the Presiding officers of legislative bodies to discuss ways to improve the relationship between the two branches of government.
- A book exhibition will also be inaugurated on the occasion, which will showcase publications related to the functioning of legislative bodies in India and the role of Presiding officers in the legislative process.
- The exhibition will be open to participants and the public, providing an opportunity to learn more about the history and workings of the legislative bodies in India.
The 83rd All India Presiding Officers’ Conference will provide an opportunity for the Presiding officers of legislative bodies to discuss and deliberate on key themes that are of contemporary relevance. The conference will focus on India’s leadership in the G-20, the need to make parliament and legislature more effective, accountable and productive, integration of state legislatures with digital parliament, harmonious relationship between legislature and judiciary and also the book exhibition will provide an opportunity to learn more about the history and workings of the legislative bodies in India. The conference will serve as a platform for the exchange of ideas and best practices among the Presiding officers of legislative bodies from across the country, and will help to ensure that the legislative bodies in India are able to effectively serve the needs of the people.
As the AIPOC completes its hundred years, it has been instrumental in helping to shape the functioning of legislative bodies in India. The conference serves as an important platform for the Presiding officers to come together and discuss the challenges and opportunities facing the legislative bodies and to find ways to improve their functioning.
As the conference is being organized in the city of Jaipur, the tourism industry will also have a boost, with participants and visitors coming to the city, which will have a positive impact on the local economy. The 83rd All India Presiding Officersï¿½ Conference will provide a platform for the sharing of best practices and learning opportunities, which is of great significance in the future functioning of legislative bodies in India.
Written by IAS POINT