Atal Community Innovation Centre
The Atal Community Innovation Centre were launched to encourage the spirit of entrepreneurship in the country. It mainly focuses on underserved and unserved regions of India. The centres will provide infrastructure and the right environment for innovation.
Important Facts for UPSC Examination
- The Atal Community Innovation Centres are launched under the Atal Innovation Mission.
- It helps to establish socially inclusive innovative ecosystem
- It will help to encourage the spirit of innovation in the country
- It will focus on areas that lag required infrastructure to facilitate innovation
- The main objective of the centre is to distribute necessary infrastructure equitably to stimulate innovation in the country
About Atal Community Innovation Centre
The centre is to be established in the following areas:
- Tribal areas
- Rural areas
- Tier-2 cities: The Tier-2 cities are those cities with population between 50,000 and 99,999
- Tier-3 cities: They are those cities with population between 20,000 and 49,999. This classification has been given by the Reserve Bank of India
- Aspirational Districts: The Aspirational District Programme focuses on 112 cities in the country. They are developmentally challenged in health, education, nutrition, agriculture and water resources, skill development, financial inclusion and basic infrastructure
- North Eastern regions
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Unserved and underserved regions in Tier-1 cities. The Tier-1 cities are those with more than one lakh population
The eligible persons to apply to the centre are the applicants from AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) affiliated colleges, universities and educational institutions and Universal Grants Commission.
Functions of Atal Community Innovation Centre
The Atal Community Innovation Centres will help to build capacity of innovators in the country. This is to be achieved by community engagement. It will conduct events to encourage scouting solutions addressing community challenges. It will provide training to entrepreneurs to build their capacity. Also, the centre will assist the startups in underserved and unserved regions.
The centre will accept applications for grant-in support up to Rs 2.5 crores. The amount will be provided by the Atal Innovation Mission. The amount is provided for a maximum period of five years. The cost covers operational expenditure as well. The Atal Community Innovation Centre aims to involve PPP (Public Private Partnership) model with the participation from CSR funds, that is, Corporate Social Responsibility funds.